Friday, May 13, 2011

Far Away But Never Forgotten

The last few days have been tough ones. Sometimes during a deployment it's easy to get depressed when things at home aren't going well and friends aren't there for you when you need them to be. I know that I had about 2 days where I didn't want to leave the house, I probably ate too much and watched too many sad chick flicks during that time too! That was before I took a moment to regroup, to think about others before myself (sort of like Service Before Self which I learned in the AF).
Instead of focusing on how sad I was, I wrote my husband and told him how much I need him in my life and appreciate him. I told him I was proud of him and that he will do great things in his career, and I'll always be here waiting for him to come home no matter how long the wait. I realized that no matter how much things suck sometimes, when people aren't treating me well, when I get sick, when I have a huge list of things to do alone, A. It is all worth it and B. He has it worse. So instead of nursing myself back to happiness with doughnuts and Drop Dead Diva, I wrote him and I cleaned, and I thought of sweet things for us to do together when he gets home. My mom gave me good advice once when I was younger, she said that you'll never be happy if you are always focusing on yourself, on your flaws, on your problems. But once you start to look at others, look at what you can do to help them and make them feel good, you'll find your own happiness.
So yes, I'm not perfect. I have my off days where I want my husband home so bad I cry. But I am very happy for the life we have, and I feel blessed for all that God has provided for us. I think sometimes I need those days, where I don't have to do anything, I can rest and have my emotions and cry. Then the next day I can start over, work out, do chores, be strong again and renewed. No one keeps going at 110% every day. If they tell you they never break down, they are lying. Everyone needs time to recharge.
Anyways, today I got a letter from a friend that had written "You may be far away, but you are NEVER FORGOTTEN." I think that's a good message, and I think it's important for me to keep that in mind when talking to my husband, to include him in my life as much as I can. And also to be understanding when he comes home and needs to recharge. I feel forgotten being 3,000 miles from home, months go by without calls from my family and sometimes I get tired of always being the one that has to call and make a point to leave messages and try hard to get through. So it is hard not to feel alone. But for my husband, it is unimaginable. Being so far away while life goes on for your friends, family and wife back home. I just hope that I can remind him that he is always in my thoughts and prayers and that writing him is all that I need to get out of a slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment