Sunday, May 8, 2011

Til Debt Do Us Part

I have been watching this show on CNBC 'Til Debt Do Us Part.' As a woman who grew up poor, knowing that I would need to get a scholarship to go to college and rely on myself to pay for my own car and rent, I know the value of money. My husband comes from a different background, he had a steady home life and family income. I've always heard that money is a big issue in marriage. We have really grown as a couple and been able to increase our communication on money, I think the biggest mistake I made at the beginning of our marriage was NOT TALKING ABOUT MONEY. Worst thing you can do is not talk! You must talk about what each of you brings to the table, income, debt, savings, retirement, etc. Especially before deployments so that you both have an amount worked out that is ok to spend. Deployments are also a wonderful time to put some money in a savings account.

My husband is very receptive to ideas that I have to save money. So when I found this worksheet and 'money jar' method to manage money he was on board. It will be an interesting experiment. I've read online reviews and people are raving about the money they have left over each month from using this method. So I am sharing it!

About the money jars:
http://www.money-saving-ideas.net/money-jar

Budget worksheet:
http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources/interactive_budget_worksheet

No comments:

Post a Comment